Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Sociable Lapwing was found on Tuesday not too far from my home. We went there to try to see it with my fiends. When the first big Lapwing flock arrived, we immediately noticed this bird leading the flock.
Sadly it stayed quite far from us, and the heathaze was strong, so I could sketch only one page. I tried to gain an overall impression of the bird, instead of concentrating on details.













Here's the bird with Lapwings:








It was very striking in flight, with more white on the wings:



























I've painted this in 2001. It shows an adult Sociable Lapwing with Lapwings. Now, with field experience, I think that this bird is a bit smaller compared to the Lapwings. Another reason why fieldwork is so important.












A part of the Lapwing flock flew to the other part of the lake, where I could not see them and the Sociable Lapwing went with them.
I had to find something else to sketch. Luckily some Curlews were in view, so I could deal with them:












There were 2 individuals in the flock of 50 birds, that were quite different. They showed great contrast between the worn, pale tertials, wing coverts and the fresh darker scapulars. I think these are birds moulting from 1st summer to 2nd winter (but I'm not experienced in the moult of Curlews).











I was left alone for the 2nd part of the day, because another rarity was found on the other part of the country, a Lesser Yellowlegs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home