Monday, May 28, 2007

I've spent a windy, but memorable day in Kiskunság (central Hungary) yesterday. My main target was to sketch Bustards. I was in the field at 5.30, but it took a few hours to find the best place. I've found some 30 male Great Bustards from that tower-hide I've been sketching 1 month ago from (http://kokayart.blogspot.com/2007/04/ive-spent-one-and-half-day-in-kiskunsg.html). They were quite close, cca 300 meters, sheltering from the wind and sun at a row of Robinia Trees. Here I enclose my sketches.

I'm planning to paint a bigger oil painting of this scene, with this well, so I did some reference sketches for it:











The upper left pencil drawing will be an important reference for that oil painting I've already started (http://kokayart.blogspot.com/2007/04/ive-started-oil-painting-based-on-my.html). This additional reference was quite necessary to paint the light on the bird correctly:











The left bird is in a typical posture they adopted quite often. I think they were cooling themselves. On the lower right corner there's an additional sketch of the well.











It was quite unusual sight to see a Great Bustard with the shadow of foliage on it. I would never think of painting this bird in such light before.





















As it is quite uncomfortable to work in strong wind (the scope is shaking, the papers flying), I tried to find some shelter in the hide. I had to look through the gaps of the slats:


























Here's what I've seen:











A bit closer, with 2 Bustards:










Part of the flock, as seen though my scope:









A big male Bustard standing against the wind:










It's interesting to mention, that a pair of Common Buzzards were building their nest on one of the Robinia Trees, over the Bustards's head.
This sunset closed this fantastic day:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home