Tuesday, May 26, 2009

At last I began working on the owls. The upper one is almost completed. I'm working on this painting for 10 days now, it's a bit longer than I expected.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

I'm slowly going on with the Long-eared Owl painting. The ivy leaves are very time-consuming to paint. Slowly finishing them, then can start working on the birds:

Here's a close-up of the lower left corner:

Monday, May 18, 2009

In February I've been sketching Long-eared Owls at a new roosting site close to my home (check my February blog). I already suspected then that I would make a bigger oil painting of the scene. I started the work now. It's on a 80 x 60 cm canvasboard. The composition is drawn with brush:

The first layer, the main colours are blocked in. I've left the birds for now:

This is the current stage. I've started to paint the bigger branches in detail. I'm still hesitating whether to leave the background this blurred, phtographic-like, or try a different style:

Saturday, May 16, 2009

I've found a freshly hit Sedge Warbler yesterday. I took it home and did these studies of the corpse:

I've received the letter from Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum that my shorebird painting entitled 'We are all young' has been selected in this year's 'Birds in Art' exhibition. 112 artists has been selected from the 545 entering. In 2006 I've been present on this exhibition with my Peregrine acrylic painting.

Monday, May 11, 2009

After a long break, I woke up very early, and went back to the Stonechat site by the river. I was shocked to see that the grass was cut next to the nesting site. The nest is on the right side of the photo, just some 5 meters from the edge of the cutting.

I haven't seen or heard the birds for a while, and started to be worrying that they have left their chicks. Then I noticed that they are some 30 meters from this site, but not coming to the nest. I've started to scan carefully the grass where I suspected it to be, and found this:

The nest was clean and empty so the chicks have fledged successfully! They must be hiding somewhere under the bushes.

The Blackberry bush the parents used for perching is blooming now, so i made this sketch as a reference if I paint the Stonachat:

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

I've just completed the Indian Pitta painting. Probably I'll have a look at ti with fresh eye tomrrow and add minor details, but the overall image won't change:

It's oil on canvasboard, its size is 36 x 50 cm.

Saturday, May 02, 2009

I've finished the work on the leaves of my Pitta painting today. I'll add some minor details at the end:

My family joined me in the working process: