Friday, June 19, 2009

I've been to the small creek by the river again this afternoon. I'm talking about this place so much, so I give you the coordinates: latitude: 47°24'54.07"N, longitude: 19° 5'51.46"E. Check out on Google Earth that this wonderful little spot is really surrounded by the city.
The Little Bitterns were not cooperative this time. The male has been there when I arrived, but left very soon. The female arrived very late, right when I was about to leave.
But I could work with the newly arrived Moorhen pair. I've seen them mating, so perhaps they will be breeing here. I would be happy for them.
Here's a sunny sketch:

And one after the sun disappeared:

I could see a short battle between them and the resident Coots. This is a videograb from my recording. The upper bird is just helping its mate to escape from the Coot that was helding it under the water for a sec (you can see the 2nd bird coming up on the left)! I really love recording videos, because I can see such moments that would be impossible with my eyes.

5 Comments:

Blogger tree ocean said...

Just catching up-the owl is looking great. The beekeeper is so bright and colorful! I thought birds were my favorite but the whale & swimmer is terrific.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Ken Januski said...

Hi Szabi,

I just saw your blog listed on the Nature Blog Network. Happy to see you there!

I've admired these sketches in the past and seeing you on NBN just now reminded me to stop by and drop a note. I put it with this older post because I really like the freshness of the sketches.

Ken

11:09 PM  
Blogger Szabi said...

Thank you very much for both of you! The same with me, I usually much more prefer field sketches to other, more carefully executed works. And my experience is that it's impossible to achieve that freshness in the studio.
Szabi

9:23 AM  
Blogger Ken Januski said...

I wonder if artists love sketches and buyers love finished work? Ah well at least other artists enjoy the sketches.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Szabi said...

I was surprised to realize that these sketches are very popular amoung buyers. I've even sold a sketch of a dead Stonechat!
Szabi

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home