Wednesday, July 07, 2010

I've started a big oil of a Snow Leopard. A great advantage of such projects is that I can work outside in the garden. I have a nice company, a Black Redstart family with recently fledged juvs. They sometimes come really close.


Usually I immediately start with paint, but this time the scene is quite complicated, so decided to make a more or less detailed pencil drawing:


Blocking in the main colours. I moved the Leopard a bit to the right:


This is the very first layer of colours. I've decided to reduce my palette quite seriously. I used ultramarine blue, cadmium red light and permanent yellow light (and titanium white of course). This can help to achieve a uniform atmosphere throughout the whole painting.

I'm working on a 80 x 60 cms canvasboard.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike Woodcock said...

Very much looking forward to seeing your completed vision of this magnificent beast

11:26 AM  
Blogger Lluís Sogorb said...

I like the composition of this work. I have wanted to see it finished!!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Dougalis said...

It looks very promising Szabi!
Can't wait to see the progress..

Paschalis

5:34 PM  
Blogger Szabi said...

Thanks a lot guys!
I found the vertical elements of this background really interesting, the background cliff, the frozen stream and the foreground rocks are all arranged in diagonal format. I think it will take quite long to complete this. Probably will run another oil project beside this. Will keep the progress posted.
Szabi

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home