Sunday, April 20, 2014

I've painted some plates for the new edition of the Birds of Papua New Guinea field guide. The author, Thane Pratt, and the project leader, Allen Allison kindly invited me to the expedition on the Kokoda Trail.
 I had to leave the team one week earlier to catch my flight. Here's a photo of Thane, holding my present for him. I've made a sketch of his favourite bird of the trip, the Chestnut-shouldered Goshawk.

















We have seen this species during the first week of our trip. I couldn't find any photos of it on the internet, so this must be a really rarely photographed species. Here's my photo: 

6 Comments:

Blogger Firecrest15 said...

Superb study of this mega rarity (in terms of published photos at any rate) and much appreciated. Got any more shots? A flight view would be to die for...

Chris Holtby

4:44 PM  
Blogger Firecrest15 said...

Superb study of this mega rarity (in terms of published photos at least) and much appreciated. Have you any more shots?

4:45 PM  
Blogger Szabi said...

Dear Chris,
Thanks a lot for your comment! I have more photos of the perched bird, even a short video clip. I'll put that on Youtube, or the Internet Bird Collection webpage. These are all digiscoped images, so when the bird took off, I could not follow it. So no flight shots, I'm afraid.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Do you actually mean the new edition of "Birds of New Guinea" (Ed.2)?

// Jonas Nordin

4:39 PM  
Blogger Szabi said...

Dear Jonas,
Yes, it will be published hopefully in October:
http://www.amazon.com/Birds-New-Guinea-Second-Edition/dp/0691095639
The new cover is also my work. Can't wait to have it in my hand!
Szabi

4:43 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Hi Szabi!
Exciting news and a brilliant cover.

All the best // Jonas

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home