Saturday, November 19, 2016

I spent 3 weeks in New Zealand this October. A friend of mine sponsors my work by inviting me on such study trips, that I can get a lot of inspirations from. I took more than 10000 photos, will show a selection of them with my sketches in the next days .
 We've arrived to Auckland after a 36 hours journey. We immdeately picked up our car and drove to north, to Kerikeri. We've met Carol and Detlef Davies in their guesthouse. Carol took us out looking for Kiwis. I was not aware of how difficult it is to see this bird. Despite our chances were not so good because of the strong moonlight, we saw 5 individuals and heard many more. These were the only kiwis on our trip (we heard Great Spotted Kiwis in the south).

We had full-moon that night, which should have reduced our chances (kiwis like pitch-dark), luckily that was not the case.














Northern Brown Kiwi. We saw 4-5 birds during the night.












I could photograph the bird in the torchlight, couldn't use flash.












Morepork, the only native Owl in New Zealand.

The next day we found another Morebork roosting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home